Summary what to do in Santorini
The paragraphs below are summarized details of places to visit in Santorini and the surrounding islands.
The detailed description of each visit is in the relevant sections of the guide.
• Visit the Minoan settlement of Akrotiri with each developed culture, the three storey houses and their magnificent frescoes.
• Visit the Museum of Prehistoric Thira, with exhibits from the Neolithic period and up to the blooming season and destruction of the Minoan civilization.
• Visit Ancient Thira, founded by the Spartans who were led by Thera, from which the official name of the island comes from.
• Visit the Archaeological Museum with artifacts from the 7th century BC and beyond.
• Visit the volcanic islands of Palea and Nea Kameni, walk beside the craters and swim in the warm waters of Palea Kameni.
• Take a boat tour along the Caldera enjoying the most unique place in the world.
• Meet the traditional settlements of Imerovigli and Oia. Visit the castle of Skaros in Imerovigli and don’t miss to experience one of the most beautiful sunsets in the Aegean Sea.
• Visit the island's most important churches like the Orthodox and Catholic Cathedral in Fira, the Virgin Mary church in Mesa Gonia, the Monastery of Agios Nikolaos, the Monastery of Prophet Elias and the Theotokaki.
• Walk along the caldera and visit some caved houses.
• Visit the village of Emporiou with its fortification architecture and the castle.
• Walk the path from ancient Thira to the church of the Virgin of Perissa.
• Visit the nearby island of Thirasia with its traditional houses, the windmills and the untouched beauty of nature.
• Taste the traditional flavors of the island and eat at traditional taverns and restaurants.
• Enjoy the unique bars located on the caldera with their breathtaking views.
• Finally, like in any Aegean island enjoy the beautiful beaches like Perissa, Vlychada, Amoudi, Columbo, Monolithos etc. in combination with the unique colors of the sand, the pebbles and the water due to volcanic activity (red, black and white beaches).